When launching the Windows Administration Console the application will fail to load. It immediately closes without an error notification.
This could be due to:
- A misconfigured connection to your database or your database could not be reached.
- Permissions configuration on Windows Server 2008R2
To check if you have connectivity to your database you can run a custom utility called InstallTool.exe. This is found in the "<Venafi Install Directory>\Platform" folder. You may need to run this utility from an elevated cmd prompt.
- To open an elevated cmd prompt click Start, All Programs, Utilities, Right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
- Change directory to the "<Venafi Install Directory>\Platform" (cd "\Program Files\Venafi\Platform").
- Run InstallTool.exe.
- Verify your settings and if they are correct press the "Verify" button. If the connection is successful you will see a message at the bottom that says "Testing connection to <databse type>" followed by "Verifying Config tables. Verifying Rights tables". If you see those strings your settings are correct and your database responded appropriately to the connection attempt. If not you will see a database related error such as "MS SQL Error: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server."
- Locate the Venafi WIndows Administration Console in the WIndows Start menu.
- Right-click on the icon and select "Run as administrator"
If you are still unable to load the Windows Administration Console you may need to open a support case.