This article describes what versions you can upgrade from to arrive at version 6.1. It also describes the steps needed for a successful upgrade.
Versions you can upgrade from:
Certificate Manager, version 6.1 was tested and is supported when you upgrade from all the latest versions of the 5.x , and 6.x releases. Specifically they are versions 5.3.5 and 6.02. Venafi recommends you upgrade your versions of Certificate Manger to these versions prior to launching your upgrade to version 6.1.
Steps to upgrade:
The upgrade to 6.1 is broken down into four major steps.
1: Backup your database.
2: Upgrading your database through the use of upgrade scripts.
3: Preparing your Windows server for upgrade.
4: Upgrading your software.
1: Backup your database:
- Backup your DPAPI key by running DPAPI_KeyUtility.exe from the command line. (Ensure your command line has elevated privileges.) See https://support.venafi.com/entries/21002336 for more details.
- Backup your database.
2: Upgrading your database:
NOTE: These steps are best carried out by your Database administrator- DBA. Your DBA will need Create Table, Indices, and Sequences rights on the database server to run these scripts.
- Open an administration tool for your respective database (MySQL, MSSQL, or Oracle) that allows you to import SQL scripts.
- Navigate to the drive:\Certificate Manager\Database Scripts\database\updates directory. There is a different directory for each supported database type. Therefore, database is the subdirectory that corresponds to your respective Director database: Oracle, MySQL, or MSSQL.
- Run the Director update script(s) to update the Director database schema: Note: If you are running version 5.x, you must run multiple database update scripts to get to the latest version of 5.x, which is 5.3.5
- Select the update script that corresponds to your current version of Director. For example, if your current version of Director is 6.0, select the following script: <Db type>_update_6.0.2_to_6.1.sql.
- Select the database in the drop-down list.
- Execute the database update script to upgrade the Director database schema.
- Exit the database administrative tool you were using.
Optional: For both MySQL and Oracle, we also provide two "drop" scripts to be run after the upgrade completes. By upgrade we mean after you have run the MSI, as per the steps mentioned later in this article. The purpose is to clean up the database after the upgrade. The two scripts in question are:
- MySQL - mysql_update_6.1_Drop.sql
- Oracle -oracle_update_6.1_Drop.sql
3: Preparing your Windows 2008 server for upgrade:
- Some 5.3.5. servers will need to upgrade their Host operating system from Windows 2003- which is no longer supported- to Windows 2008 r2 ( 64 bit). To ensure your server meets the minimum requirements for version 6.1, view this Knowledge base article- https://support.venafi.com/entries/21377191.
- Stop all of the Venafi Server Encryption Manager services.
- Venafi Encryption Director
- Venafi Log Server
- Stop the Internet Information Services (IIS), by executing these steps:
Click Start > Run. Type "iisreset /stop" and press Enter.
- Back up your current Director database.
- Back up the registry on the Director server.
4: Upgrading your software:
- Log in to the Windows server where you want to upgrade Director Certificate Manager.
- From the Installation directory, launch the installation program.
- TIP: You must have Administrator privileges to install Director Certificate Manager. To do this, right-click the Command Line program icon, select "Run as Administrator".
- Execute the following command in a Windows command line prompt:
msiexec /i full_path_to_director_certificate_manager.msi
- Follow the prompts of the MSI to complete the install.
- At the end of the install, you will need to run this iisreset command.
Note: For more detailed information on upgrading, or installing your 6.1 software, see Director Certificate Manager installation guide in the Documentation folder of your software ZIP file.