When provisioning a certificate to a Windows 2008 server, the following error is displayed at stage 800:
Install Certificate failed with error: The authentication service is unknown. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706D3)
This error is only displayed when attempting to provision a certificate to a Windows 2008 server that meets the following criteria:
- Is configured as a Microsoft CA
- Has IIS installed
- The certificate was issued from that CA
- You are attempting to provision the cert from the MSCA install to the IIS installation on the same box
- In the Venafi Admin console, select this device within the Policy tree.
- Set the Hostname/Address field to localhost.
- Save the changes
- Retry provisioning the cert to the device.